Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Almost 40!

So my wife Loida is writing a blog about women turning 40 this year, so I decided I would write about turing 40 from a man's POV.

You see, for me turning 40 is now becoming a reality. I turn 40 in November and there is nothing that can change that. My body hurting, like my elbow, knee and hip, my hair turning grey, and wrinkles. I can easily accept and deal with these. What I haven't learned to accept are my past, present, and future.

For me turning 40 has nothing to do with how old I am, and everything to do with who I am. So, like most men that turn 40 I will evaluate what I've done, what I haven't done, and what I can still do. I will challenge my regrets (and yes Loida we all have regrets) to see if I have learned or atoned for them. I will look at what I have accomplished. I will self-analyze every little aspect of my life. I'm sure there will be things that I will not be happy with, but whatever the outcome, I will apologize to you in advance Loida.

You see, here is where the true difference between men and women really comes out. Yes, we can take pain, yes we can abuse our physical bodies beyond belief and say it was nothing. But what we can't take are the mental emotions we incur from time to time.

So again like most men my age, I will whine about how fat I am, I will complain about how I am a nobody, and I will annoy you with how great I used to be. But understand that it's only a phase. So Loida, to you I apologize because you will be there to see it all and you will understand that, because emotions are for a woman, no big deal.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the club of 40-year-old's. I am looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete