Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm Coming Out Part Deux



Being from a family four brothers, no sisters, and a strong mother, one of us had to pick up her tenacity in the kitchen. I would love to help my mom cook and bake. The results, I can cook better than most women, and bake the best cakes you will ever taste.

It doesn’t end there. My mom also wanted some cultural diversity in our lives, so again she insisted that we attend the opera, and symphony on a regular basis. Now this is where I fell in love with music. Tchaikovsky opened up a vault in my mind that has yet to be closed, and I doubt it ever will. My genre of music includes the likes of Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald all the way over to songs from Metallica. But when you look at my favorites you tend to see a slight pattern, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Joy Division, Boy George, The Cure… I’ll stop there.

Something else most people don’t know about me is that I was a gymnast, and being a gymnast, I also took ballet classes for my flexibility. So there you go, music preference check, cooking and baking check, ballet check, what else? Oh yes! There’s the art school I attended. There I would develop all types of artistic talents. From oil, pastels, water color, and charcoal to art history, color coordination, and basket weaving. Yes friends I can do macramé! I can also decorate and arrange flowers.

So now let’s recap, Listening to The Smiths (Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me), baking a wonderful black peppered crusted salmon with asparagus and white wine, Crème Brule for desert, as the artists fill the ambiance with colors and creativity. Does this sound like a man with a strong feminine side? “Gay?” Well not really, not to me.

To me it sounds like a man that has an awesome mother, a mom that cares so much for her children that her likeness was imposed on a man, me. And for that I will continue to be who I am. A person, who can listen, learn, and create, all while loving life. If all this entails that I am gay, then so be it. But if you ask me I will tell you, “Sorry, I am NOT gay.”

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! I love the "gay" in you! Although, I really don't call that gay I call that a good man!!! I'm kinda like your momma =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Loida is a lucky gal.

    ReplyDelete